At last, the interesting stuff! I enjoy scouting defensive players much more than offensive players. Tuesday will be a treat, with DBs, which I usually see as the best athletes on the football field. Anyways, today are the Defensive linemen and Linebackers. What I look for, aside from measurables, are overall fluidity of movement, lateral quickness, footwork and change of direction for this group.
- Shawn Crable ran a solid 4.64.
- Woodyard Wesley helped his stock tremendously by running a 4.51, and looking fluid on the 20 and 60-yd shuttles
- Maryland LB Erin Henderson, brother of Vikings MLB EJ Henderson (6'3, 244 lbs), ran a 4.73, and 23 bench press
- Ali Highsmith hurt himself by running a 4.96. A big problem when you are already seen as undersized to play LB in the NFL. He completed the 20-yd shuttle in 4.29s
- Xavier Adibi from Virginia Tech: Ran a 4.69, looked fluid and showed some agility
- Chris Long is showing strong measurables: 40 time: 4.75, 34 bench presses, 10'4 broad jump which is ridiculous given his size, and a 34 inch vertical. He also showed up for the 20-yd shuttle with a DL best 4.21 s
- Vernon Gholston bench pressed a monstrous 37 times!!!!, had a 35.5 inches vertical, a 10'5 broad jump, and ran a 4.67. Did not as great on the shuttles but he is a virtual lock to be a top 5 pick, given his production in college.
- Quentin Groves ran a solid 4.57, best for all defensive linemen
- Derrick Harvey bench pressed 31 times, ran a 4.80.
- Sedrick Ellis bench pressed 34 times, ran a 5.24, showed a good burst. He cemented his value at the very top of the board.
- Glenn Dorsey did not workout
- Frank Okam, 6'4, 347 lbs, bench pressed 32 times, ran a 5.32.
- Marcus Howard is flashing up the board, running a 4.47, jumping a 34.5 inches vertical
- Cliff Avril: The Boilermaker helped his stock with a 4.51 40-time, and by looking good on the agility drills.
- Calais Campbell has a disappointing 5.03 on the 40-yd dash. Not as athletic as I expected, seem to stay too high when running, affecting his balance.
- Golden Gopher Dominique Barber bench pressed 225-lbs 23 times
- Kenny Phillips had only 19 reps
- DaJuan Morgan, the second best safety in the draft, had 21 reps.